Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Another movie...

...when the wife's away...the husband will watch a bunch of movies, I guess.


Naomi Watts (The Ring; a look-alike for Nicole Kidman from some angles, if you ask me) is an English midwife who stumbles into the world of Russian mobsters in London. Viggo Mortensen (All three Lord of the Rings [Aragorn]) is a mobster who seems nice enough, but there is more beneath the surface to him. I liked the ensemble cast and everyone did well playing their part - the Russian was realistic (like I know) and there were enough twists to keep you interested, though some people would probably figure everything out easily if they wanted. I do not have the most iron of stomachs, so there were plenty of moments that made me queasy - not the least of which was Viggo calmly (with a smirk even) cutting off the fingertips of a frozen dead guy. "Very nice. High five! Oh, sorry, forgot about your fingers." Anyway, if there was one scene you shouldn't miss, it was the naked fight between Viggo and two mobsters in a steam room. I cringed through most of it, realizing how much it would hurt to get slashed while being naked and just how awkward it would be to fight without any clothes on. Overall, pretty decent, Viggo Mortensen is good and Naomi Watts is decent. 3.5/5.

No comments: