Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Why couldn't the writers have gone on strike for this one?

Not the finest example of cinema, but it had its moments:


Balls of Fury (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424823/)

What Blades of Glory did for figure skating, Ball of Fury did for ping pong. Which is to say, not much. Christopher Walken had some good lines - nothing the likes of "more cowbell" but he had his B+ game at least. Most of it was pretty cheesy, but from watching the extras I guess it was supposed to be like a kung fu movie - which, to me, is pretty cheesy, so they hit the mark. Some Reno 911 guys were responsible for this, and maybe they should have stuck to the 30 minute format (22 factoring in commercials). I think that would have been enough for me, but 90 minutes was more than enough. It is good for some laughs, no more, no less. 2.5/5.


I also played some Guitar Hero III on the Wii. (I have learned saying "I played my Wii last night" is not a good conversation opener. FYI.) It used to be that when I heard songs that were songs on the game in every day life (like on the radio or the Muzak in the grocery store), it made me want to play the song on the game. Now I hear songs on the radio and can convince myself that it is either a GHIII song or, more often, that it WOULD make a good song and that I wished I could play it. Maybe I should get a real guitar - but that would lead to a sad realization that I can only play fake guitar. Kind of like all of the Madden I have played over the years, but I don't need to put on shoulder pads to know I would get crushed on the football field. There is something about GH that makes me think I could do the real thing. I guess that is the appeal of the game - that and rocking out to Barracuda.

No comments: