Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The cheesiest blog title, TiVo, and Movie Review

My friend Andy started a blog (http://web.mac.com/andy_123/Site_2/Blog/Blog.html) and informed me I needed to start one as well. Here is my attempt. The title comes from back in "the day" when I was a leader in Boy Scout camp. Some of my guys resurrected an old bulletin board in the woods and put it back up, enshrining it "Prohaska's Poster Post." Cheesy, yes, but it lives on. Note: Blog title subject to change after ridicule.

TiVo is freaking awesome. I watched the NCAA Football National Championship last night, and it was only tolerable due to TiVo. I had to finish up a movie (more on that later) so I paused the live game and flipped over to watch the DVD. An hour later, once the movie was over, I flipped back to the game. I was able to watch a play then skip ahead over all the "witty" banter and watch the next play. An hour's worth of game took me maybe 20 minutes tops to watch. TiVo is perfect for football watching this way. It also helps to be able to pause something when someone (usually the baby for me) is making too much noise or requiring too much attention.

I have decided to institute a movie review feature in the blog since I seem to be watching movies fairly regularly. Here goes...

Black Book (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/)
A Dutch film (so it has subtitles), this was about a woman who survived as a Jew in Nazi occupied Netherlands in WWII. (This is just coincidentally identical to the imdb plot outline, I swear.) It is a good story that is pretty fast moving and shows the lengths people will go to in order to survive, as well as the depths people will sink to when presented with some pretty unfavorable options. This is based on actual events - which hopefully means something more than "there once was a Jewish woman living in The Netherlands" - and I didn't know some of the things that went on in these occupied countries. It was shocking to see what happened during and then after the occupation, not just toward Jews (that is fairly well documented), but to Jewish sympathizers during the occupation and then to Nazi sympathizers after the occupation. Anyway, I recommend it. I am a generous movie rater - I see something good in most every movie - but I will give this 4 "Go Blues" out of 5.


Next movie: Eastern Promises.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. 4 out of 5 Go Blues. Must be good.

Glad to see you're online. Thanks for the shout out. I want to increase the number of readers to my blog so that Google Ads money starts rolling in...